NSV has urged Vancouver City Council not to proceed with the Oakridge Centre rezoning as proposed. The full text of NSV’s letter to Council is reproduced below.
March 9, 2014
Mayor Robertson and Councillors
City of Vancouver
453 West 12 Avenue
Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 1V4
Dear Mayor Robertson and Councillors,
Re: Public Hearing – Oakridge Centre and Related Rezonings – March 10, 2014
Neighbourhoods for a Sustainable Vancouver (NSV) is opposed to this rezoning proposal for the Oakridge Centre and Related Rezonings.
Generally, the community has clearly stated that the development proposal is far in excess of what is appropriate for the site and many issues remain unresolved.
Some examples of unresolved issues are as follows:
- Only 10% of the costs of infrastructure and amenities to support a new development are typically covered by development fees of DCLs or CACs. The related costs for this development will be largely subsidized by tax payers and impacts of this has not been fully disclosed to the public.
- The impacts of this massive redevelopment do not appear to have been considered including on traffic and the increases to physical and social infrastructure that will be needed to support this redevelopment.
- At peak hours, the Canada Line is already at capacity. The impacts on the Canada Line from this development have not been appropriately assessed as to if the system can be expanded to adequately accommodate the increased volume and how that would be paid for.
- The green roof of the retail mall that is the podium base for the 14 towers should not be considered the public park space that is required under policy.
- The massive development of 14 towers up to 44 storeys is entirely out of scale for this location and will have major impacts on shadowing of the surrounding community.
This project should not proceed as proposed.
On behalf of the Steering Committee
Neighbourhoods for a Sustainable Vancouver
Website: nsvancouver.ca ; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PS. Please leave contact information in posted letter online.